How to Store Kayaks in Garage?
If you have a kayak, then the next logical thing to do is learn how to store it. This article will answer all your questions about storing kayaks in the garage. First of all, you need to know that this is not an easy task especially if you are dealing with longer boats. However, there are several effective ways on how to store kayaks in the garage without any difficulty. Let’s go through them one by one.
Use a kayak rack. This is the most popular way to store your boat in the garage. You can easily make your own kayak storage racks with few pieces of lumber and some screws. However, you need to install it properly on the ceiling or any other part of your garage to prevent it from falling.
Make a kayak rack for outside. If you want to keep your kayaks outdoors even in winter weather, then this is the perfect option for you. All you need are 2×4 boards and PVC pipes. Cut them into proper pieces to attach together at the ends and then attach them to the wall or your house. You will be able to store up to three kayaks at once by using this method. However, if you want to keep more than that, then we recommend buying a boat rack.
Make lean-to storage shed. If you’re looking for the cheapest way on how to store kayaks in the garage, then this is the right choice for you. However, if you have 2 or more kayaks then buying a boat rack may be better because it provides you with more space.
Create a DIY storage box. This is another good option to store your boat when you don’t have enough time to build your own garage kayak rack. This storage box is also a great way to store your boat when you aren’t going to use it for a long period of time. What you need to do is just take a large sheet of plywood and cut it so that it fits the length of your boat. Drill or nail 4 boards together at 90 degrees on each end and then add a top and bottom frame. You can make it as big or as small as you want it to be depending on the size of your boat.
Try using wall racks. If you have a narrow hallway or small garage doors, then this method will be perfect for you. It gets attached to the wall and then your kayak hangs from it when you’re not using it. You can also get a free-standing rack if you don’t want to drill holes in the wall.
Use kayak dollies. This is another great option on how to store kayaks in a garage. All you need is a kayak dolly which can be purchased from most boating or fishing supply stores. You just need to put the dolly under your kayak and push it back so that it rolls right beside your car.
Use pool noodles. It will prevent your boat from getting scratched and scuffed so that it stays in good condition. All you need to do is just put some pool noodles underneath the boat when it’s on the ground, then you can use hooks or eye bolts to attach it to your garage wall.
- At the end of the season or if you plan to take a long break, it is best to place the kayak in an enclosed, dry room with a medium, stable temperature, such as a garage, hangar or attic, etc.
- Carefully remove moisture from the cockpit and luggage tanks before sending the kayak to winter storage. Cover the kayak with a breathable cloth to avoid covering it with dust.
- Assembled kayaks should be stored assembled.
- It is best to store the paddles horizontally, without the paddles resting on the paddles.
It is not recommended:
- Hanging the boat by the shipping loops for long periods of time to prevent the hull from buckling.
- To store the kayak lying on its side. It can lead to the deformation of one side of the hull.
- Do not store boats with a pronounced keel against the bottom, because it may flatten.
- Do not leave the boat in an upright position for a long time.
There are many ways on how to store kayaks in the garage without spending too much money, but if you want a long-term rack then you will need to invest in one. The best option is a freestanding garage storage rack which can be purchased online or from your local boating store. They may be expensive, but they’re worth the price as they last much longer compared to other options mentioned above.